Homework Assignment 1
Due in Week 1 and worth 30 points
Describe a work task, a hobby, or another activity that you regularly do, and sequentially list the various actions you take in order to complete this activity. You will need to repeat this activity at least two times to see if the changes you engage in will assist in reducing the amount of time. Consider the complexity of your list and the amount of steps required to complete the activity. Choose an activity that you complete on a daily basis.
Please consider the choices below or select one task from personal experience:
Preparing for a jog, workout, or other sports related activity.
Cooking a meal or preparing a sandwich.
Making coffee in the morning.
Cleaning the house.
Washing the car.
Bathing/grooming your dog or cat.
Setting up a grill to BBQ.
Answer the following questions in the space provided below:
1. How many steps did it take you to complete the activity?
2. What time did each step take and how much time was delayed between steps?
3. What was the average time each attempt took? Calculate the average of each repetition. Include your data following the assignment one example provided under Instructor Insights Week 1
4. Differentiate the main actions between doing and improving your activities. Use the textbook to support your explanation. See page 7-9.
5. Determine the overall manner in which variation has affected your activities. Explain what is variation and the importance of the standard deviation in a process? You will need to calculate the standard deviation of each attempt. Include your data and calculation. See page 13-14 to support your answer.
6. Overall, how much time were you able to cut down on when engaging in the same activity while implementing the new changes?