Week 4 Discussions and Required Resources
Two-part assignment: All parts must be at least 200 words unless otherwise noted. Please read all attachments and follow ALL instructions.
Part 1: Process Selection: Product and Design Capacity
How is process selection related to product design and capacity determination? Your initial post should be 200 words.
Part 2: Monique Food Processing Company and Capacity
Read Problem 6: The Monique Food Processing Company in Chapter 8 of your text. Monique Food Processing Company produces light snacks that can be heated in a microwave. The following steps are included in the process:
Measure and place in plastic pouch
Prepare cardboard box
Insert pouch into box
a. What is the system capacity, and which is the bottleneck department?
b. How much slack (unused capacity) is available in other departments?
c. How much system capacity can be gained by adding capacity to the bottleneck?
d. What are the key factors that determine when to add capacity?
e. Why would an organization want to reduce its capacity?
Make and include calculations. Answer questions a through e. Your response should be 200 words.
NOTE: Be sure to have a well-developed paragraph for all required work (posting & responses). A well-developed paragraph contains 5-7 sentences for each paragraph created.
1. Business is a social science.
2. A well developed paragraph is 5-7 sentences.
3. Use third person voice instead of first person voice.
4. You must use a thesis statement when writing your assignments.
5. Use a variety of transitions to help the flow of the paragraphs
6. Check out the PIE structure of your paragraphs mentioned in the writing center.
7. There are two types of in-text citations that you should be using: a. parenthetical and b. signal phrase
Vonderembse, M. A., & White, G. P. (2013). [Electronic version]. Retrieved from
- Chapter 7: Facility Location and Process Selection
- Chapter 8: Capacity Decisions
July, E. (Producer) & Rodrigo, J. M. (Director). (2003). [Video file]. Retrieved from the Films On Demand database.
Watch the following segments:
- Anticipating Flower Market Demand:
- Ecuador: King in the Flower World:
- Ecuadors Flower Production:
- Exporting Flowers from Ecuador:
- Full Video: Business is Blooming: The International Floral Industry:
- American Society for Quality. (n.d). Pareto chart . Retrieved from
- American Society for Quality. (n.d). Six sigma . Retrieved from