Structure your lobbying plan following this standard outline incorporating appropriate heading levels:
- Cover Letter (your letter of introduction)
350-525 words introducing yourself and the issue to your state representative.
For the first part of the assignment, you may use any appropriate cover letter or business letter template that your word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word) likely offers for free. It is important to keep the format simple and free from distracting borders, images, and designs. You can also use to get started.
Your letter must include the following:
- Personal introduction, including any credentials or background information you feel are important to gain rapport.
- Introduction of the issue, including what you would like to see happen with the issue.
- A request for an appointment with the representative to discuss the issue.
- You can continue your lobbying plan on the page proceeding your cover letter as follows.
- An APA Style Title page
- An Introduction Section (A Level 1 Heading)
575 1,050 words that introduce the issue
- Description of Setting (A Level 2 Heading)
- Statement of Objectives in Your Plan (A Level 2 Heading)
- An Argument Section (A Level 1 Heading)
1,750-2,450 words where you summarize the research support for their issue.
- Explain what you have found out about your issue and what areas need to be addressed. (A Level 2 Heading)
- Analyze the current status of actions being taken in the professional and legislative areas to support your explanations. (A Level 2 Heading)
- Provide examples of areas that are working well and may need to be enhanced, as well as areas that are not working so well and need to be changed. (A Level 2 Heading)
- An Action Section (A Level 1 Heading)
350 700 words where define what action or legislative changes that they would like to see take plan to resolve their issue.
- Explain what resources may be needed to execute the plan. (A Level 2 Heading)
- Analyze how executing this plan will provide better services. (A Level 2 Heading)
- Provide examples of the measurable improvements that you would expect to be the metrics for ongoing evaluations of the plan. (A Level 2 Heading)
- Conclusion (A Level 1 Heading)
300 700 words bringing the paper to a logical end.
This is your final submission. Your paper should be 5,000 words in length and be based on articles from the last ten years. You are required to use APA formatting for in-text citations and references. For further guidance, refer to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.).
Your assignment should be complete and integrate the feedback you received from your instructor following the submission of your rough draft.
Cheung, R., & Ardolino, A. (2011). Behavioural science in public health policy. British Journal of Healthcare Management, 17(4), 140-144.
Durbin, A., Durbin, J., Hensel, J., Deber, R., & Hensel, J. M. (2016). Barriers and enablers to integrating mental health into primary care: A policy analysis. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 43(1), 127-139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-013-9359-6
World Health Organization. (2003). Quality improvement for mental health. Retrieved from
American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Katrina, H., Heather, P., Doris, C., Daniel, S., & Julian, E. (2015). Factors for success in mental health advocacy. Global Health Action, 8(0), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.3402/gha.v8.28791
McKeown, M., Ridley, J., Newbigging, K., Machin, K., Poursanidou, K., & Cruse, K. (2014). Conflict of roles: A conflict of ideas? The unsettled relations between care team staff and independent mental health advocates. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 23(5), 398-408. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12069
Open States. (n.d.). Find your legislator. Retrieved from
United States House of Representatives. (n.d.). Find your representative. Retrieved from